Last Updated on January 11, 2023 by admin
It is important to keep grapes away from cats as they can cause serious health issues. The Pet Poison Helpline warns about the potential for toxicosis in cats after consuming grapes or raisins, even in small amounts. While it may not be immediately obvious, some cats have experienced gastrointestinal upset after eating grapes, and in more serious cases, kidney failure has also been reported. It is best to err on the side of caution and avoid feeding your cat any grapes.
What Does Pet Poison Helpline Say About Grapes?
The Pet Poison Helpline is a reliable source for pet owners to learn about the dangers of certain foods. According to the Helpline, all types of grapes and raisins (seeded/seedless, organic/conventionally grown, purple/green, etc.) can cause toxicosis in dogs and should also be avoided by cats. This means that even when enjoyed as a healthy snack by humans, these fruits can be extremely dangerous to our furry friends. It isn’t exactly known why grapes and raisins are toxic, but some believe that mycotoxins (a fungal byproduct) could be responsible.
Are Grapes Toxic to Cats?
The short answer is yes, grapes can be toxic to cats. Most pet experts agree that all varieties of grapes and raisins can cause toxicosis in cats. This can lead to more serious problems such as gastrointestinal upset, kidney failure, and even death in some cases. It is important to be aware of the potential hazards of feeding your cat grapes and raisins and to make sure they are kept out of reach.
What Compound in Grapes Is Toxic to Pets?
Unfortunately, we don’t know exactly which compound in grapes is toxic to pets. Some experts agree that mycotoxin, a fungal byproduct, is the culprit. However, the ASPCA Poison Control Center (APCC) veterinarians solved the 20-year mystery and concluded that it’s not a single chemical or compound that is the cause of grape toxicity in dogs. Instead, it’s a combination of substances found in grapes such as sugar, alcohols, and organic acids. Cats are also affected by these substances and can suffer from sugar overload if they consume too many grapes.
Can Cats Have Grapes?
The answer to the question, “Can cats have grapes?” is a definite no. Grapes contain toxic substances that are harmful to pets, and although the exact compound is unknown, it can cause severe health problems in cats. Veterinarians advise pet owners to keep grapes out of their cats’ reach. Additionally, due to their small, round shape, they can be a choking hazard for cats. If your cat has eaten grapes, it is important to contact your veterinarian immediately to seek advice and treatment.
Do Cats like Grapes?
It may be tempting to offer your cat a grape as a treat, but it’s important to remember that grapes are not good for cats. The Pet Poison Helpline warns that grapes can cause toxicosis in cats, and even small amounts can be dangerous. Therefore, it’s best to avoid giving your cat grapes, no matter how much they might like them.
Are Grapes a Choking Hazard for Cats?
Another important factor to consider when it comes to the safety of cats and grapes is the potential choking hazard. Grapes are small and round, making them difficult for cats to swallow, and especially dangerous to curious cats that may try to eat them. If your cat has eaten a grape, watch out for signs of choking such as drooling, wheezing, or pawing at the mouth. In this case, seek veterinary help immediately.
What Are the Symptoms of Grape Toxicity in Cats?
When it comes to cats, the symptoms of grape toxicity can vary widely. While some cats may not show any signs of illness, others may experience vomiting, stomach pain, and even kidney failure. In severe cases, the pet poison helpline warns that grapes can be fatal. It’s important to note that the risk of kidney failure increases with the amount of grapes consumed, so it’s best to keep your cats away from these fruits. If you suspect your cat has eaten grapes, it’s best to take them to the vet immediately.
What to Do If Your Cat Has Eaten Grapes?
If you think your cat has eaten grapes or raisins, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible. Contact your veterinarian or take your pet to an emergency vet clinic that can provide treatment. If your cat has eaten a large number of grapes or shows signs of toxicity, they may need IV fluids, bloodwork and monitoring. Cats may recover if the grapes are removed from the system in time. However, it is important to note that even a small amount of grapes can be dangerous and should not be taken lightly.
Can Cats Chew On Grape Stems?
It’s a good thing to know that while grapes are dangerous for cats, grape stems are not as toxic. However, cats may still have difficulty chewing them, leading to vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain. If your cat ingests a grape stem, it is best to take them to the vet. If multiple grape stems are eaten, it can cause gastrointestinal obstruction, which can be life-threatening. It’s best to avoid giving your cat grape stems altogether.