Last Updated on January 22, 2023 by admin
No, cats should not eat rhubarb, also known as “the pie plant”. Rhubarb leaves and stalks are both toxic to cats, as cats are obligate carnivores and do not have the digestive system to process these plants. Symptoms of rhubarb poisoning in cats include kidney failure, tremors, and salivation, so keep cats away from rhubarb plants. If ingested, cats should be taken to the vet immediately to receive proper care and treatment.
Why Cats Should Not Eat Rhubarb
Why cats should not eat rhubarb is simple: rhubarb is toxic to pets, causing poisoning in dogs as well as cats. The rhubarb plant is extremely high in soluble oxalates, which are poisonous to cats. Both the leaves and stalks of a rhubarb plant can be dangerous for cats, so it’s important to keep cats away from this plant. Furthermore, the symptoms of rhubarb poisoning in cats are easy to spot, so it’s crucial to be aware of any abnormal behavior in your pet if they have access to the plant.
Rhubarb Toxicity for Cats
The dangers of rhubarb to cats cannot be overstated. It is extremely toxic for cats and should be avoided at all costs. The leaves of the rhubarb plant are particularly dangerous, as they contain a high concentration of calcium oxalate, which can cause serious kidney damage. Cats may also experience tremors, salivation and other symptoms when exposed to rhubarb. Owners should make sure that their cats do not have access to any part of the rhubarb plant. If they suspect their pet has eaten any part of the plant, they should contact their veterinarian or the Animal Poison Control Center immediately.
Clinical Signs of Rhubarb Poisoning in Cats
Clinical signs of rhubarb poisoning in cats can present as a range of symptoms, from drooling and vomiting to lethargy, weakness, tremors, and changes in thirst and urination. In addition, large animals may suffer from calcium oxalate poisoning. Keep cats away from rhubarb to ensure their safety, as the plant is very toxic for them. If any signs of rhubarb poisoning are observed, it is critical to contact a veterinarian immediately.
The Dangers of Rhubarb Leaves for Cats
Rhubarb leaves are poisonous to cats, as they contain oxalates that can lead to oxalic acid poisoning and in extreme cases, kidney failure. As such, it’s important to keep your cats away from the leaves of the rhubarb plant. Not only should you keep the rhubarb out of their reach, but you should also make sure that your cats are not attracted to the plant’s crunchy stalks, as these also pose a risk of poisoning. While rhubarb’s sour and slightly sweet taste may be appealing to some people, it is generally not something cats find attractive, thus reducing the chances of them getting into it.
The Appeal (or Lack Thereof) of Rhubarb for Cats
Cats do not have a sweet tooth, so they are unlikely to find the tart flavor of rhubarb appealing. In fact, the sour taste of rhubarb can be off-putting to cats and may even cause them to avoid it. Cats may also be put off by the crunchy texture of the stalks, which can be unappealing and difficult for them to eat. For these reasons, cats should not eat rhubarb as it is potentially toxic to them.
Rhubarb’s Popularity with Cooks
Rhubarb is a very popular ingredient among cooks, with its stalks being used to make tasty fillings for a variety of desserts. However, cats should not eat rhubarb leaves, as they contain soluble oxalate crystals and insoluble calcium oxalate, both of which are toxic to cats and can cause serious health problems. Cooking the rhubarb can decrease the amount of soluble oxalates, but it is still not recommended that cats eat it. Therefore, it’s important to keep cats away from rhubarb and make sure they don’t get into any of the dishes made with it.
Calcium Oxalate Poisoning in Large Animals
While the ASPCA APCC does have an amazing resource of safe versus not-so-safe plants, it’s important to note that soluble calcium oxalate plants can cause calcium oxalate poisoning in large animals. Livestock are particularly susceptible to this type of toxicity if they are chronically grazing on rhubarb leaves. However, it’s still important to keep cats away from rhubarb, as even small amounts ingested can be toxic and result in kidney failure, tremors and salivation. If you suspect your pet may have ingested a potentially toxic substance, call the APCC at (888) 426–4435 for further advice on how to keep your cat safe from the dangers of rhubarb.
Rhubarb Leaves as a Poisonous Pet Danger
Rhubarb leaves contain oxalates, which can cause poisoning in cats, dogs and horses. Eating rhubarb leaves leads to oxalic acid poisoning which can cause kidney failure. The cooked rhubarb stem is safe to eat, but the leaves are very toxic. It’s important to keep the cat away from the rhubarb, as cats tend to bite things that intrigue them and could end up consuming a dangerous amount of the plant. Ingesting large amounts of rhubarb can be fatal for cats, so it’s best to keep them away from it entirely.
How to Keep Cats Safe from Rhubarb
To ensure that cats stay safe from rhubarb, keep it out of their reach. Make sure that any rhubarb plants are placed in areas where cats cannot get to them and that any rhubarb dishes or snacks are inaccessible. If you suspect that your cat has eaten some, contact a veterinarian immediately as the leaves of the plant can cause serious health issues if ingested. Additionally, you can teach your cats to avoid rhubarb by providing them with other food options and reinforcing positive behaviors.
The Importance of Keeping the Cat away from the Rhubarb
It is essential to keep cats away from rhubarb and any other potentially toxic or dangerous food. Cats do not have the digestive system intended to break down plant materials, and rhubarb can be toxic and even lethal for animals such as cats. Symptoms of rhubarb poisoning in cats include salivation, weakness, malaise, swelling of the face and hypocalcemia. Therefore, it is important that pet owners take the necessary precautions to protect their furry friends from any harm and keep anything dangerous safely tucked away.